Sunday, July 1, 2012

Joe's Motto: Ora et Labora


Last September, at my dear friend Jill's wedding, I met Joe, who is the father of Kathy (Jill's step-mother).

There wasn't a lot of visible ink at the wedding, but when Kathy saw me at the reception, she yelled "Hey, Tattoosday!" and brought Joe over to see me.

He held out his wrists and I snapped the photo above.

It was a bit noisy at the reception, but he basically said that this was his motto. In Latin, Ora et Labora  mean "pray and work," and as Joe tells it, all he does is work and pray. The phrase is attributed to Saint Benedict.

Kathy concurs, "I will tell you that he does is work and pray ... or tell us to work and pray ... it really is quite a theme with him."

This was tattooed at Godspeed Tattoo in Breckenridge, Colorado. Joe got these words inked on his wrists a few years back, when he was in his early seventies. Who says cool tattoos are just for the youth?

Thanks to Joe for sharing his tattoos with us here on Tattoosday!


This entry is ©2012 Tattoosday.

If you are reading this on another web site other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment